If you aren’t one of the nearly 4 million people who telecommute, you might stress out about having your Amazon packages delivered to your home when you’re not there.
Ford Motor Co. has a solution.
Instead, Amazon will bring the packages to you – or at least to your Ford vehicle.
The automaker announced it is teaming up with Amazon to bring its Key by Amazon In-Car delivery service to eligible Ford and Lincoln vehicles.
If you have a 2017 or newer Ford model equipped with FordPass Connect or a 2018 or newer Lincoln vehicle with Lincoln Connect, you’ll likely be able to take advantage of this service.
How does it work?
- Link your Amazon Prime account with the FordPass or Lincoln Way apps. This allows delivery drivers to securely access a customer’s vehicle to make a delivery.
- Place your order.
- Select the delivery option to send to your car.
- Get a notification on your smartphones when the delivery is completed.
Delivery drivers are required to double-check the door handle before departing to make sure the car is locked, and if you want to cancel an order on the day of delivery, you can block access to the vehicle and even redirect delivery to your home.
This service will launch in 50 metro areas around the U.S., including:
- Arizona: Phoenix
- California: Fresno, Los Angeles/Orange County, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco/Bay Area and Stockton
- Colorado: Denver
- Connecticut: Hartford
- Delaware: Wilmington
- Georgia: Atlanta
- Florida: Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Sarasota and Tampa.
- Illinois: Chicago
- Indiana: Indianapolis
- Kansas: Kansas City
- Kentucky: Louisville
- Maryland: Baltimore
- Massachusetts: Boston
- Michigan: Detroit and Grand Rapids
- Minnesota: Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Missouri: St. Louis
- Nebraska: Omaha
- Nevada: Las Vegas
- New Jersey: Newark
- New York: Rochester
- North Carolina: Charlotte
- Ohio: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus
- Oklahoma: Oklahoma City
- Oregon: Portland
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Tennessee: Nashville
- Texas: Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio
- Utah: Salt Lake City
- Virginia: Norfolk, Richmond and Virginia Beach
- Washington: Seattle/Eastside
- Washington DC Metro Area
- Wisconsin: Milwaukee
Amazon Key for Ford and Lincoln vehicles has already rolled out and is available now.
The Bottom Line:
Watches, homes, phones and cars are all “connected” these days. Which is great when you have a busy lifestyle and don’t want to be tied down.
Ford and Amazon are making it easier for you to get your packages delivered when and where you want them and ensure you receive them.
Yeah, there are certainly some privacy issues here, but Ford and Amazon are banking on the fact that convenience will outweigh the concerns.